PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 03/21/2016 1:53 PM by  Tony Hodges
CR8350-2000-F step response
 1 Replies
Sort:
Please register and login to participate in the forums.
Author Messages
David Gustavson

--
03/20/2016 3:05 PM
    I am considering using a CR8350-2000-F in a switching power supply. The spec sheet says frequency response to 200KHz. I need to know how the current transformer would respond to a 0 to 100 amp step in current. What would be the delay and rise time of the output signal? Ideally a graph similar to what is on opamp datasheets would be great.

Thanks,

Dave Gustavson
    Tony Hodges
    CRM Staff
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03/21/2016 1:53 PM
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest. CT output specifications must be issued based upon frequency, input current, and output burden. There are an infinite number of combinations that designers will use, so therefore it is impossible to put together a similar graph as you see in an op amp spec. Op amps can be modeled easily over various loading conditions due to their feedback nature. CT's cannot. We provide pinpoint specs at the typical power frequency of 60 Hertz. We would need to know a burden to calculate the expected output in a 200Khz application.

Unfortunately, your application does not fit this product. A single sided input (DC pulsed) cannot be sensed with this product in the standard fashion of CT sensing design. This is a true AC only CT which needs the core to be reset on every cycle. You could possibly use it with a flyback circuit on the secondary, however you would possibly find some difficulty adding the usual commutating diode and filter on the primary given its 1 pass nature.

Typically, a hall effect type device is used in this application. I have attached a PDF of our CRH E Series offered. It is still in the marketing stages but available thru special order. The drawback with these is that they do require some sort of external power supply.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Attachments
    Please register and login to participate in the forums.

Copyright 2024 by CR Magnetics